LISTING SPONSORED BY: MGM RESORTS INTERNATIONAL
Nevada Blind Children's Foundation
- 95 S. Arroyo Grande Blvd.
- Henderson, NV 89012
- E-mail: [email protected]
Nevada Blind Children’s Foundation provides the essential building blocks including extended educational curriculum, extracurricular activities, social opportunities, and transitional skills to children who are visually impaired.
Visual impairment will become a diagnosis, not a disability.
- Increase graduation rates and post-secondary education enrollment and/or vocation for blind or visually impaired children.
- Increase employment rates for blind adults. (approx. 70 percent are unemployed)
- Increase quality of life (i.e. independence, socialization, life skills) for blind or visually impaired children with significant intellectual and/or physical disabilities that prohibit graduation and/or vocation.
- Certified Therapy Dog Teams: Join us for BookTime Buddies; a literacy program pairing Braille and large-print readers with tutors and certified therapy dog teams for reading fun!
- Board and Committees: Share your expertise with other adults and help guide the growth of our organization through your volunteer commitment on the board of directors and/or board committees.
- Pro Bono Support: Volunteer your professional services (i.e. legal, human resources, public relations, etc.) to support our mission.
- Individual and Group Volunteering: NBCF offers a variety of volunteer opportunities ideal for individuals or groups. Utilize your skill-set or learn a new one as you help us prepare our students for success in school and in life!All NBCF volunteers working directly with children must complete an application and pass a background check prior to volunteering with the organization. For a complete list of volunteer opportunities visit our website: nvblindchildren.org.
Ladybug Ball: The Ladybug Ball is more than an event… it’s an experience! The Ladybug Ball features a gourmet dinner, live entertainment, silent & live auctions, and a special VIP after party that doesn’t stop until the break of dawn! Consider becoming an event sponsor, purchasing a table, or donating an auction item.
Learning Center: Nevada is the largest of only seven states that does not have a school for the blind — until now! NBCF recently moved into a previous K-8 private school facility in Henderson and is working to open the first sited peer preschool in August 2019. Support NBCF with a one-time or multi-year gift towards the capital campaign to purchase the new building and/or operational funds to support the new preschool.
Volunteering with Nevada Blind Children’s Foundation can be a rewarding experience for you and our kids! Consider the following options:
All NBCF volunteers working directly with children must complete an application and pass a background check. For a complete list of volunteer opportunities visit our website: www.nvblindchildren.org.
Donations made to NBCF are tax deductible with 100 percent of the proceeds remaining in Southern Nevada:
After School Adventures: Provides students with one-to-one tutoring and six-week classes focused on five key areas: literacy, math, socialization, mobility & orientation, and independence.
Family Support: NBCF’s Family Advocates provide ongoing support to ensure each child and his/her family has the resources they need to be successful; from navigating health and social services in our community, to educating families on blind specific needs, NBCF Family Advocates serve as a grounding resource in our community from birth through age 22.
Robotics Teams: NBCF has three award-winning FIRST LEGO League robotics teams for blind and visually impaired students grades K-12.
Day Camp: NBCF’s Discovery Day Camp is the only ACA accredited day camp in the state of Nevada created specifically for blind and visually impaired children. Discovery Day Camp combines blind specific education, field trips, and traditional camp activities to create camping adventures that are educational and FUN!!!
Employment & Life Skills Training: NBCF offers leadership and life skills training and serves as a first place of employment for young adults.
Technology: NBCF hosts a state-of-the-art technology lab providing adaptive technology and accessibility training to blind students.
Special Events: NBCF hosts events that provide families with traditional holiday experiences adapted for their child’s special needs. (i.e. The Beeping Egg Hunt provides blind children an opportunity to experience a traditional Easter Egg hunt using oversized eggs that beep.)
Nevada is the largest of only seven states that does not have a school for the blind. NBCF is the only nonprofit solely dedicated to the education and well-being of blind and visually impaired children in Southern Nevada. NBCF’s service delivery model is comprehensive, focusing on six key initiatives: education, recreation, family support, advocacy, health, and employment and life-skills training.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Chris Chiodo, OD
The Vision Centers
Dr Eva Littman
Red Rock Fertility Center
MGM Resorts International
Dr Rudy Manthei
Nevada Eye Physicians
Dr Helga Pizio
Roesener Family Charitable Fund