Ten attorneys from the Las Vegas office of Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie were recognized by the firm for pro bono service: Brian Blakley, Tony Cabot, Natalie Cheung, Howard Cole, Joel Henriod, Dale Kotchka-Alanes, Matt Park, Karl Rutledge, Abraham Smith and Dan Waite. Four of the firm’s attorneys were recognized for pro bono service in 2016 by the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada: Blakley, Dan Polsenberg, Abraham Smith and Chris Jorgensen. Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie is the exclusive Northern Nevada member of the Employment Law Alliance. David McElhinney will lead the employment law services.
Opportunity Village and employee Monica Harrison received awards from SourceAmerica, a national nonprofit organization that creates employment opportunities for people with significant disabilities through a national network of more than 1,200 nonprofit agencies. Opportunity Village won the AbilityOne Network Award for Performance Excellence in Grassroots Advocacy, which recognizes a nonprofit agency’s effective, creative approach for engaging and educating public policymakers on a local, state or federal level about the AbilityOne Program. Harrison won the Tom Miller Advocacy Award, which recognizes an employee with a significant disability who has demonstrated outstanding achievement and remarkable passion for self-advocacy on a local and/or national level.
Henderson launched the Community Education Advisory Board with the following appointed members: Richard Derrick, Henderson assistant city manager and chief financial officer; Mike O’Dowd, principal at Pinecrest Academy, Inspirada; Annette Dawson Owens, middle school math teacher at Pinecrest Academy and founder of the “Break Free CCSD” group; Dr. Dennis Potthoff, dean of education at Nevada State College; Dr. Marya Shegog, director of health programs at the Lincy Institute and an assistant professor with the UNLV School of Community Health Sciences; Greg Wells, president of investments and real estate for Marnell Properties; Stacey Allen, executive director of the Nevada Partnership for Inclusive Education; Lee Farris, vice president of land development for the LandWell Co.; Judith Steele, president and CEO of the Public Education Foundation; Patricia Charlton, CSN senior vice president of strategic initiatives and advanced services; Elizabeth Trosper, principal and founder of Trosper Communications; Jodi Tyson, government affairs director for Three Square Food Bank; Stephen Augspurger, executive director of the Clark County Association of School Administrators and Professional-technical Employees; Jenn Blackhurst, president of Honoring Our Public Education for Nevada; and Wanda Shumar, senior vice president regional manager with Bank of George.
Mary Croughan is UNLV’s vice president for research and economic development.
Colin Cowie Lifestyle opened a Las Vegas office. The event-planning company has office in New York City, Los Angeles and San Francisco. Taking lead on the office is Ashley Goodhue, who began working with Colin Cowie in 2010 when she was brought on to produce the Cosmopolitan’s grand opening.
Eight people joined the Southern Nevada Public Television board of directors, which provides financial, promotional, governmental and volunteer support for Vegas PBS. Joining the group of board members are: Rachelle Crupi, Bank of Nevada president; Stephen Greathouse, Las Vegas hotel and gaming industry, retired; Thomas Gallagher, TreVista Group; Vince Alberta, UNLV chief marketing officer & vice president of brand integration; Tom Warden, Howard Hughes Corporation senior vice president of community and government relations; Geraldine Tomich, partner at Marquis Aurbach Coffing Attorneys; Tracy Bower, National Security Technologies/Nevada National Security Site public affairs manager; and Linda Ammons, community volunteer.
Fisher Phillips was named the nation’s top labor and employment law firm in a survey of readers of Corporate Counsel magazine. In addition, the firm’s website, fisherphillips.com, won multiple awards for its layout, design, interface and overall functionality. The awards include: best in class in the legal category from Interactive Media Awards, the Web Marketing Association’s 2016 WebAward for outstanding achievement in web development; the 2016 MarCom award for website design and development in the category of professional services; the 2016 W3 award for law and legal services websites; and the 2016 Summit International emerging media award for website design and development in the B2B service category.
Nomad Corporate Yoga, which offers yoga classes in the workplace, is available in Las Vegas.
MBR Mail by Renee at 716 S. 10th St. offers U-Haul trucks, trailers, towing equipment, support rental items and in-store pick-up for boxes.
The Aria’s security department is the local recipient of the FBI Director’s Community Leadership Award. The award recognized the resort’s efforts in combating human trafficking and interacting with women who are victims of predators.
Hospital Corp. of America agreed to purchase three hospitals in Houston from Tenet Healthcare. The agreement includes 423-bed Houston Northwest Medical Center, 181-bed Cypress Fairbanks Medical Center Hospital and 444-bed Park Plaza Hospital. The transaction is expected to close in the third quarter. HCA also is acquiring two Texas hospitals from subsidiaries of Community Health Systems: Tomball Regional Medical Center, a 350-bed hospital in the Houston area, and South Texas Regional Medical Center, a 67-bed hospital in Jourdanton, Texas, south of San Antonio.
Desert Springs Senior Living won an Ensign Flag from the Ensign Group. The award is based on survey results and financial performance, a professional appearance/environment, high marks in culture, great clinical performance and results, occupancy and compliance.
• • •
The VIBE Vista Awards recognize the top performers in the beverage industry. Honorees were:
Hotels, Cruise Lines and Casinos Award Winners
• Best Beer Program — Norwegian Cruise Line
• Best Spirits Program sponsored by Campari America — Caesars Entertainment Corp.
• Best Wine Program — Norwegian Cruise Line
• Best Beverage Menu Program sponsored by Back Bar USA — MGM Resorts International
• Best Single Event Program sponsored by Tito’s Handmade Vodka — Omni Hotels & Resorts
• Best Responsible Alcohol Service Program sponsored by National Restaurant Association — Interstate Hotels & Resorts
• Best Alcohol Free Program sponsored by Monin Gourmet Flavorings — Loews Hotels and Resorts
• Best Promotion Program sponsored by Patrón Spirits Co. — Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts
• Best Overall sponsored by Fetzer Vineyard — Caesars Entertainment Corp.
Multi-Unit Chain Restaurant Award Winners
• Best Beer Program sponsored by Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. – Yard House Restaurants
• Best Spirits Program sponsored by Brown-Forman — Rusty Bucket Restaurant and Tavern
• Best Wine Program sponsored by Foley Family Wines — Del Frisco’s Double Eagle Steak House
• Best Adult Alcohol Free Program sponsored by Red Bull North America — Buffalo Wild Wings
• Best Beverage Menu Program sponsored by Constellation Brands — Mellow Mushroom
• Best Single Event Program sponsored by Ste. Michelle Wine Estates — Morton’s The Steakhouse
• Best Responsible Alcohol Service Program sponsored by National Restaurant Association — AMC Theatres
• Best Promotion sponsored by Infinium Spirits — AMC Theatres
• Best Overall sponsored by New Belgium Brewing — Rusty Bucket Restaurants and Tavern
• • •
Immunize Nevada recognized medical professionals at the 19th Annual Silver Syringe awards. Southern Nevada honorees included:
• Outstanding Childhood Immunization Program: Kim Gahagan
• Outstanding Adolescent Immunization Program: Clinica Medica del Pueblo
• Outstanding Adult Immunization Program: Nevada Homeless Alliance / Volunteers in Medicine of Southern Nevada
• Outstanding Influenza Immunization Program: Lin Hong
• Outstanding Rural Immunization Program: Libbie Hamrick
• Outstanding Pharmacy Immunization Program: Smith’s Food and Pharmacies of Southern Nevada
• Outstanding Media Partner: Nevada Broadcasters Association and Foundation
• Outstanding Community Partner: Jeanette Rosenberg
• Outstanding Corporate Partner: The Valley Health System
• Innovation In Immunization: Christina A. Demopoulos
• Outstanding Volunteer: Jenny Prophete
• Outstanding Medical Assistant: Maira G. Gollas
• Outstanding Immunization Nurse: Lynda McCloskey,
• Outstanding Physician Champion: St. Rose Pediatrics
• Outstanding Immunization Champion: Mee Kee Chong-Dao